Tuesday, 7 October 2014

All At Sea Shawl


image of crocheted shawl
Just a quick show n tell today to reveal a recent project which I made whilst on my jollies in North Wales. This colourful creation is my first attempt at crocheting a shawl. My first shawl! And what a pleasure it was to make too. I spent many a happy moment crocheting this in the car, on the beach and of an evening during those lovely sunny days of Summer.

I first saw this shawl on the lovely Elizy Art blog, and knew instantly I wanted to make it. It was the perfect item to make with a couple of skeins of Araucania Ulmo Multy cotton yarn which I snapped up from the bargain bucket at the Knit and Stitch show in Harrogate two years ago, and I've been itching to make something with it ever since.
image of Araucania yarn
I need to buy a yarn cake thingamabob-bobbin
 I legged it to the shops to buy my copy of the Simply Crochet magazine (Issue 22) so eager was I  to get my hands on the pattern and get started.
image if Simply Crochet Issue 22

image of All at sea shawl Simply crochet Issue 22
After a few initial glitches (I'm pants at following patterns) I sailed through the easy to follow pattern with ease. I wasn't able to make the last two rows, but that wasn't a major problem as it still wraps and drapes really nicely. I was really surprised at how light and comfortable it feels when wrapped around like this (my fave way to wear it)....
image of all at sea shawl
image of all at sea shawl
Not bulky at all, and not overbearingly warm to wear whatever the weather or season.
image of All at sea shawl
This is not going to be my last shawl I can guarantee you that! 
Even the left over yarn was put to good use. This is my eldest daughter's (8) first attempt at crochet...
image of foundation chain
...a very long foundation chain which she made during time spent at the cottage and on the journey home in the car.
To say that I'm proud is an understatement!

10 comments:

  1. So so pretty! How lovely :) Bet you'll get loads of wear from it :) I love shawls x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very pretty isn't it!! Hope that you love wearing it. Love your daughters first crochet too, she is off to a good start! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful, and most useful for a mid season wearable I am sure, Lovely! Here in SA we have to wait so long for new issues of my favourite mag, it's agonizing! xx Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your version of the shawl! I'm so happy you enjoyed using the pattern :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shwl is really beautiful ! I like very much the colors ... Have a creative day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is BEAUTIFUL, more so than the one photographed in the magazine, IMHO. :-) Wear and enjoy. :-) I think it would be almost impossible to have a bad day whilst wearing such a gorgeous shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just bought my copy of SC, we wait quite a while for the issues to appear down here in South Africa! Your choice of yarn for the All at Sea Shawl is perfect! It is beautiful. Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful shawl! :) It suits you well and looks sooo soft!

    Take care
    Anne
    http://crochetbetweenworlds.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lindo seu xale.
    Parabéns.
    Um abraço.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving your comments - I read every single one. It makes me so happy that you took a minute to drop by and say hello.
Thank you ♥