Monday, 16 June 2014

Liebster Award: 11 Random Facts

 Hello!
Goodness me it's been a while hasn't it! I've been slowly but surely catching up with a whole heap of mundane but completely necessary homely chores which I quite happily neglected to do whilst my girls were off for their two week half term break. A great relaxing time was had by all, but I'm glad to be catching up and to be immersing myself into the normal daily routine now that my girls are back at school.

During this time I received an email from the lovely Tracey from the friendly Yarn and Pencil blog to tell me she had nominated me for the Leibster Blog Award - I was delighted, but felt a smidge apprehensive about boring the pants off you good people so I've tried my best to include some interesting facts that I probably would never have shared here in my blog so here goes...

1. I cry really easily. "Oh for Goodness sake pull yourself together woman" I hear you say - don't get me wrong it's not that I'm an emotional wreck, I cry when I'm happy too, it's just if I see someone else crying or hear a sad story or song or watch a tear-jerker of a movie then these can so easily set my chin-a-wobblin' (I think it all got worse when I had my two girls so I'm blaming it on the maternal gene or hormones, well that's my excuse anyway.)

2. I will have been with my husband for 26 years this September (now that does deserve an OMG!) He's my best friend and soul mate and I love him to bits.

3. In 2000 we got married on the beach in Barbados, and it was just the most perfect day from beginning to end. We were accompanied by our two best friends, and we arranged the whole thing once we arrived. It was so easy to organise and was a fraction of the cost if we'd had a wedding here at home.

4. I am scared stiff of cattle - cows as well as bulls. It is a 100% phobia. My heart rate goes off the scale, my knees shake and my legs turn to jelly, and then? You guessed right - I cry. I'm O.K if there's a fence or wall between me and them then I can cope with that, but if we meet in an open field then I'm off at full pelt in the opposite direction, which my dear other half finds hilarious!

5. I adore 1950's fashion and style - although I don't try to look or dress that way, but I do admire other people who can emulate this style with ease.

6. I love Doris Day - especially in the films of the 1950's the outfits she wears are just dreamy. I love her voice and the quirky comical roles she has performed. My favourite film of hers has to be Calamity Jane, luckily my two girls love musicals too so we can watch this without complaints. Now they know most of the lyrics, and we can have a good old sing-a-long together.
Doris Day knitting!
(image found on Pinterest).

7. I did Camp America in 1999. I worked at Camp Pocono Ridge in Pennsylvania for three months then had six whole weeks of travel down the East coast. It was  such a fantastic experience, and I met a lot of great people along the way. I teamed up with another four girls from the Camp, and we started with three amazing days in New York, New Orleans next, then Orlando and Miami, and eventually ended up in Key West. It was such a great feeling being free to choose where to go next. It was a very happy and fun time of my life with lots of fantastic memories that I will treasure forever.

8. Ever since then I've had a longing to go to California. I can't explain why I feel this way, but it's there in the depths of my soul -  a fully fledged longing/yearning to go. I started a Californian Pinterest board, and I've pinned some gorgeous images on there. I really would like to see San Francisco then drive along the PCH, stopping off at the various towns along the way. I really want to visit Carmel (Doris Day lives here!) - have you seen it? It is the most quaint and beautiful chocolate box type of place. Then there's Fort Bragg, which is a beach completely covered in colourful sea glass...I could easily spend a whole day there! One day soon - please God, pretty, pretty please.

9. I've met Bruce Willis.
After finishing a two year media make up course in 1995 I then went on to work at Pinewood Studios in the 'Creatures' dept on the film The Fifth Element making all manners of silicone and foam costumes to all manners of creatures great and small. Bruce came to have a look around one day with the Director Luc Besson. He was very down to earth and friendly, and yes ladies if your interested to know - he's even better looking in real life - and tall!
I also met Milla Jovovich. The costume dept required a body cast of her, and I was asked by Nick Dudman (Head of Creatures, and who later went on to work on all the Harry Potter movies) to attend as they needed a female member of the crew to be present. Milla had to wear those hospital paper type knicker-thingies, and that was all...nothing else. She took the whole uncomfortable experience all in her stride and her sense of humour was still intact even when her dignity wasn't - I shall say no more.
The Fifth Element cast and crew. (blue arrow - that's me!)
1st stair (centre) Luc Besson and Chris Tucker.
2nd stair Ian Holm, Bruce Willis, Milla Jovovich, and Gary Oldman.

Myself  with Nick Dudman.
10. I hate being late...for anything. Although I am trying not to get too stressy or twitchy when time is against me.

11. I also worked as the make up artists assistant in the much lesser known 'Boston Kickout'. I got to work with some fab home grown talent...John Simm, Andrew Lincoln, and Mark Warren to name but a few.
Andrew Lincoln, John Simm, me, Richard Hanson, Marc Warren (in the background).

There you have it! I have thoroughly enjoyed picking and choosing my 11 facts, so a big thank you to Tracey... I really have had a blast producing my list.

I am going to do the same as Tracey and write this in two parts, so the next post will be my answers to her 11 questions and my 11 nomination choices...it might just be you?! X





8 comments:

  1. Wow - what a lovely selection of stories - each one post worthy, and I could not believe how much 8 and 9 resonate with me as I have always felt that I should have been a hippy child in the 1960's on the west coast of California (Never mind I wasn't even born then) and one of my favourite films is the 5th Element. Looking forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed we will both get there one day very soon - what a post that would be! It's so great to hear the film is a favourite of yours :-)

      Delete
  2. It is great to get to know a bit more about you!! You should definitely go to California sometime, San Francisco is amazing, it is like a village in a city, utterly fabulous and although in the opposite direction to the Pacific Coast Highway I realise, Lake Tahoe is amazing as well, really stunning scenery and fabulous people. I hope that you get to go someday. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so envious you've been there. My husband has been a couple of times on business and fell in love with it the minute he landed, and now we can't wait to go as a family. Thanks Amy, I really hope so too!

      Delete
  3. Hi Amanda :-) Wow, this has been such a captivating read and it's so lovely to get to know you better. I do hope you get to go to California one day soon!
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nomination Tracey, like I mentioned it was a lot of fun putting this list together. I'm still California dreamin' ;-)
      XX

      Delete
  4. Wow! I love The Fifth Element - what a cool and random story! It's amazing to find out the adventures other people have been on! I'll have to start thinking of some good factoids for my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you loved the film - it was flippin' hard work!! Look forward toreading yours ;-) X

      Delete

I love receiving your comments - I read every single one. It makes me so happy that you took a minute to drop by and say hello.
Thank you ♥